"We love the zing from the Cajun seasoning and hot sauce," writes Mary Hoxworth from Killbuck, Ohio. "I like to use this spicy rice to make stuffed green peppers."
Recommended: Travel Around the World in 80 Meals
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 3 tablespoons each chopped onion, celery and green pepper
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/8 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 to 2 drops hot pepper sauce
- Dash each salt, paprika and pepper
- 3/4 cup canned diced tomatoes
- In a small saucepan, cook the sausage, onion, celery and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and the vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Add the water, rice, Cajun seasoning, pepper sauce, salt, paprika and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring once. Stir in tomatoes; heat through. Yield: 3 servings.
Originally published as Spanish Rice in Cooking for 2 Spring 2009, p18
Reviews forBest Spanish Rice
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review