Best Southern Fried Chicken Recipe
Here's a traditional recipe from our area of the country. My husband is a ham radio operator and we've shared this recipe with folks from all over the world.
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3 to 3-1/2 pounds each), cut up
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- MILK GRAVY:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 1. In a shallow bowl, beat eggs and milk. In another bowl, combine flour and seasonings. Dip chicken pieces in egg mixture, then in flour mixture.
- 2. Heat oil in a large skillet; brown chicken on both sides. Cover and cook over low heat for 45-50 minutes or until juices run clear. Remove chicken from skillet; keep warm. Drain drippings, reserving 1/4 cup in skillet. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until browned. Combine milk and water; add to skillet. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Add browning sauce if desired. Serve with chicken. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 551 calories, 40g fat (8g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 680mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 26g protein.
Reviews for Best Southern Fried Chicken
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC