Best Rosy Rhubarb Mold
Any meal benefits from this ruby-colored salad - it's always a refreshing accompaniment. I never have leftovers, since the combination of sweet, tangy and crunchy ingredients is so irresistible. -Regina Albright, Southhaven, Mississippi
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 4 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (6 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 1-1/2 cups cold water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 cans (11 ounces each) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup chopped celery
- Optional garnishes: lettuce leaves, sliced strawberries, green grapes, sour cream and ground nutmeg
- In a saucepan, combine rhubarb, water, sugar and salt; bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 1-2 minutes or until the rhubarb is tender; remove from the heat. Stir in gelatin until dissolved. Stir in cold water and lemon juice. Chill until partially set. Fold in oranges and celery. Pour into a 6-cup mold or an 8-in. square dish that has been coated with cooking spray. Chill until set. Unmold onto lettuce leaves or cut into squares. If desired, garnish with fruit and serve with sour cream sprinkled with nutmeg.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 79 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 98mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fruit.
Originally published as Rosy Rhubarb Mold in Taste of Home April/May 1998