Best Meat Loaf Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef or chuck
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons dried sage
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 4 bacon strips
- 1/4 cup chopped canned tomatoes
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients. Combine the milk, eggs and Worcestershire sauce; mix into the beef mixture. Add crumbs. Grease a large sheet of foil. Place bacon on foil. Mold meat mixture into a loaf and place over bacon. Seal foil tightly around loaf. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight. Place wrapped loaf on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Open foil; drain juices. Combine sauce ingredients and spoon over loaf. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes longer. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice: 394 calories, 23g fat (9g saturated fat), 139mg cholesterol, 1094mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein.
Reviews for Best Meat Loaf
"I love this recipe! I've been using it since 1995 when it first appeared in Taste of Home magazine. It has been our family meatloaf recipe ever since. The blend of spices is just perfect. (I don't use the sauce recipe, though. I generally cover the meatloaf with ketchup or ketchup mixed with jelly.) After 22 years, this is definitely what you call a keeper!"
"This is the best meatloaf recipe. Everyone enjoys the favor. I always make two and freeze one (uncooked) for another time."
"My boyfriend is a big fan of meatloaf so I'm always trying different recipes. He really liked this one. I cut the recipe in half and used a few different spices because I didn't have everything on hand. It was very flavorful. I used turkey bacon because that's what I had on hand, I don't recommend that. It didn't get crispy at all and tinted the bottom a pinkish color. I pan fried leftover pieces, those were much better. Bacon crisped up nicely.-volunteer field editor"
"This was the worst meatloaf that I have ever made! Don't you test these recipes?? I threw over half of it away! What a waste!!"
"This is truly a wonderfully flavored meatloaf. I have made this several times. There have been times when I have not had the bacon and this really doesn't make a difference. Sometimes I don't put the sauce on top either. The combination of spices sounds crazy but they marry well. Enjoy!"
"All in family loved this recipe."
"did without brown sugar-all meat lovers in our household, sweet later."