Here’s a tart and tangy, tiny-enough-for-two pie that’s proof good things still come in small packages! Sent in by Sherie Crane of Wichita, Kansas. TIP: You can use a refrigerated prepared pie crust, but you won’t use it all for this recipe.
Recommended: Lemon Meringue Pie-Inspired Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to fit a 5-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate; trim to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate. Flute edges. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a small saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gradually stir 2 tablespoons hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in butter, lemon juice and peel. Pour into crust.
- For meringue, in a small bowl, beat egg white and lemon juice on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar on high until stiff, glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until meringue is golden. Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Best Lemon Meringue Pie in Cooking for 2 Spring 2006, p13