Best Layered Lemon Dessert Recipe
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 cups whipped topping
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water, divided
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1. Cut butter into flour until crumbly. Stir in pecans. Press into the bottom of an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Cool. Beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until fluffy. Fold in whipped topping. Spread over crust; chill.
- 2. In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add 1/4 cup water and stir until smooth. Add eggs and mix well. Add vinegar, lemon juice and the remaining water; stir until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; add butter and extract. Cool. Spread over cream cheese layer. Chill 2 hours or overnight. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 piece: 334 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 142mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Best Layered Lemon Dessert
"Question: Why wouldn't you use another 1/4 cup of lemon juice instead of the vinegar?"
"I recall preparing this recipe quite some time back! This recipe WAS a really good one! I used pecans if walnuts are not available! I also used a full 8-oz. container of whipped topping, thawed and instead of preparing a lemon filling, I used a can of lemon pie filling!I greased and floured my baking pan to allow for easier removal of the lemon dessert! Thank you, Dorothy Pritchett, for sharing your recipe with Taste of Home! delowenstein"
"This was very good. I made it for a gather I was having and for the most part, everyone loved it. I guess I'm my biggest critic, as I could still detect a bit of aftertaste from the apple cider vinegar. Perhaps if I didn't know it was in the recipe, I wouldn't have been able to detect it..other than that, VERY tasty!"