Best Italian Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil on all sides over medium-high heat; drain. Combine the broth, tomato paste, mushrooms, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper; pour over roast. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 to 3-1/4 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Remove roast; keep warm. Pour pan drippings and loosened browned bits into a measuring cup. Skim fat; pour drippings into a saucepan. Combine flour and water until smooth; gradually stir into drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Slice roast; serve with gravy.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 295 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 906mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 36g protein.
Mar 6, 2010
I have 5 going on 6 children. All of them loved this meal. We made mashed potatoes and a green salad and served the gravy over the potatoes and the meat and every last drop was gone. We all loved it and even those that don't normally like mushrooms were okay with them, even though we used fresh mushrooms because we were out of canned mushrooms.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.