Best Italian Chicken
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons water, divided
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Hot cooked rice
- Place chicken in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, 3/4 cup water, onion, bouillon and seasonings; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until a thermometer reads 170°.
- Transfer chicken to a serving platter; keep warm. Transfer cooking juices to a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth. Gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken and rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 285 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 125mg cholesterol, 627mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 47g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 13, 2016
Delicious recipe! I made this super tender chicken over white rice for our Mother's Day dinner.
Dec 4, 2015
Nov 4, 2015
Apr 9, 2015
Made as directed and found it delicious with a nice little spice to it. Very easy to make, too.
Feb 18, 2014
So delicious! I made this using garlic and onion instead of the powder types and served on rice pilaf and my family really enjoyed it- will be making again.
Nov 14, 2012
I made this recipe last night. The only difference was I used thighs instead of breasts. We think they have more flavor and are moister. I braised the chicken in olive oil until almost done. I did not use chili powder nor terrigon. I would never have thought of such a thing, definitely not Italian. I used a whole chopped small onion, 8 ounces of sliced muhrooms and two cans of Italian tomatoes. I poured all ingredients over chicken, covered and simmered for about thirty minutes. No corn starch, just let it cook until liquid is reduced. I adjusted the seasonings and then I baked it in the oven for about thirty minutes and sprinkled Mozarella (sp) cheese on top and baked it a few minutes longer to melt and brown the cheese. I served it over angel hair spaghetti with Caesar salad and sweet Italian bread. I definitely will do this again. My husband loved it and so did I.
Sep 22, 2012
Hubby and I really liked all of the flavors together. Delicous as is!!!!
Sep 6, 2012
tarragon+ chili - ITALIAN ????not enough garlic !!!a lot of water to add in slow cooker recipe / the cooker ** makes ** waterbouillion / yuk !!! - use a good stock instead - ( make your own / freeze in cup size bags ) -
Sep 5, 2012
Which reminds me .... sheesh. Old Ruciptie but very good. Up the Italinan seemesize me, or a cup out of a bottle.
Sep 5, 2012
I thought this was great, however I used chicken broth in place of the water & bouillon cubes. I've never liked the strong taste of them. Otherwise perfect!!