- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 teaspoons meringue powder
- Assorted colors of liquid food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and extracts. Combine the flour, salt, baking soda and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters.
- Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For icing, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, water and meringue powder; beat on low speed just until combined. Beat on high for 4 minutes or until soft peaks form. Cover icing with damp paper towels or plastic wrap between uses.
- Working quickly, spread or pipe icing over cookies; let dry at room temperature for several hours or until firm. Use small new paintbrushes or toothpicks and food coloring to make designs on the cookies. Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews forBest-Ever Sugar Cookies
"This was really good"
"Nice recipe - made tiny cookies and dipped half in chocolate - just right!"
"Just what I was looking for. I don't like traditional Christmas cookies and someone made these one time. I did a cream cheese frosting with almond extract instead of the one listed."
"I love new ways to make sugar cookies. Cannot wait to make them."
"Delicious easy to make, one of my new favorites this will be on my favorite lists.."
"These cookies have the best flavor."
"These really are the BEST sugar cookies ever!!!"
"LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE THIS RECIPE SO BUTTERY."
"These were very good, and easy to make. They freeze well too. Thanks for the recipe!"
"These cookies have a wonderful flavor, and the dough was very easy to work with as long as it was very chilled. It did gradually start to warm up during the process of rolling it out and cutting shapes, and it started sticking to the rolling pin quite a bit. easy fix, though - just pop it back in the fridge for 10 or 15 minutes. While baking, the first batch spread more than I expected and the cut-out shapes became less defined. On the second batch, I made sure to chill the cut-outs in the fridge for about 10 minutes before placing them in the oven. This resulted in much less spreading and nice defined edges on my cut-outs. I did not make the icing included in this recipe, but rather sprinkled the cut-outs with various colored sugars or sprinkles prior to baking. Delicious!"