Best-Ever Sugar Cookies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 teaspoons meringue powder
- Assorted colors of liquid food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and extracts. Combine the flour, salt, baking soda and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters.
- Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For icing, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, water and meringue powder; beat on low speed just until combined. Beat on high for 4 minutes or until soft peaks form. Cover icing with damp paper towels or plastic wrap between uses.
- Working quickly, spread or pipe icing over cookies; let dry at room temperature for several hours or until firm. Use small new paintbrushes or toothpicks and food coloring to make designs on the cookies. Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container.
Editor's NoteMeringue powder is available from Wilton Industries. Call 800-794-5866 or visit wilton.com.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 116 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 66mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Feb 7, 2018
By far, the softest and best tasting sugar cookie I’ve made. The icing recipe goes well with the sugar cookie as well. The cream cheese is the secret ingredient. I did only use 2 c. of flour for the dough, because I do not like dry tasting cookies and I did not have almond extract. I will use this recipe again and again.
Dec 20, 2017
This is not a good recipe for cut out cookies. The baking soda in the recipe makes the cookies puff out, and they lose their shape as they are baking. They taste good, but look ridiculous.
Dec 10, 2016
This was really good
Dec 10, 2015
Nice recipe - made tiny cookies and dipped half in chocolate - just right!
Dec 23, 2013
Just what I was looking for. I don't like traditional Christmas cookies and someone made these one time. I did a cream cheese frosting with almond extract instead of the one listed.
Dec 5, 2013
I love new ways to make sugar cookies. Cannot wait to make them.
Dec 3, 2013
Delicious easy to make, one of my new favorites this will be on my favorite lists..
Nov 29, 2013
These cookies have the best flavor.
Mar 28, 2013
These really are the BEST sugar cookies ever!!!
Oct 15, 2012
LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE THIS RECIPE SO BUTTERY.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.