Best-Ever Stuffed Mushrooms
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 30 large fresh mushrooms (about 1-1/2 pounds), stems removed
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, cook sausage, onion and garlic over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain. Add cream cheese and Parmesan cheese; cook and stir until melted. Stir in bread crumbs, basil and parsley.
- Meanwhile, place mushroom caps in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan, stem side up. Brush with butter. Spoon sausage mixture into mushroom caps. Bake, uncovered, 12-15 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 appetizer: 79 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 167mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 5, 2018
These are amazingly delicious! Served them at a Christmas Party last night and everyone raved! I follow the directions, but before baking I top them with a mixture of panko, butter
Dec 2, 2018
For Debra, yes, that's what I do, waste nothing! My crew needs a bit more spice so I added much more garlic and crushed red peppers and a pinch of cayenne. For those of you that love adventure, try a red wine, a good cab sav works wonders.
Nov 24, 2018
Got a question...don't you chop up the stems and cook them with the sausage? Thank you.
Apr 27, 2017
I made these last week and loved them. I love mushrooms anyway, but always wanted to make these. I used hot italian sausage and italian seasoning and omitted the cream cheese and bread crumbs to eliminate some calories. Brushed the mushrooms with butter and baked about 10 minutes before adding the stuffing and topped with parmesan cheese and then baked another few minutes until heated. Before serving, I picked them up and drained any juice remaining in the mushroom and plated. The mushrooms were very moist and tasty!
Feb 1, 2017
They were good but maybe missing something and I just put my finger on what. If I do decide to make these again I will try adding some white wine like others have suggested.
Jan 6, 2017
Jan 2, 2017
Definitely won't make these again. There are so many better stuffed mushroom recipes out there. They were very dry and not very flavorful.
Jan 2, 2017
Wish I'd read the reviews; I love the idea of adding white wine! We don't like mushrooms, but I added a small can of finely diced mushrooms, baked it in an oven-safe serving dish, and served with baguette slices.
Dec 28, 2016
I made these but used feta cheese instead of cream cheese. No bread crumbs. TASTY
Nov 24, 2016
Delicious and easy. I prepared these yesterday to serve today on Thanksgiving. Everyone really enjoyed them. I took the advice of the other reviewers and added some chopped red pepper and I soaked the bread crumbs in 1/4 cup of white wine before adding it to the pork and cheese mixture. I will definitely be making these again.