- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally; drain drippings. Add vegetables, seasonings and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Mix flour and milk until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in cheese until melted. If desired, serve with green onions. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews forBest-Ever Potato Soup
"I prepared as directed. It was a very heavy, rich, and filling soup. I think if I make it again I would use a different cheese. I wasn't a fan of the velveeta flavor. It looked beautiful and my family liked it. I thought it was just okay, but I'll try it again maybe with cheddar or Colby cheddar mix."
"Great...try adding a tad (2 tsp) fresh dill....adds an additional depth."
"Made it this evening. Tastes very good. Shared with neighbors and they wanted recipe. Very filling."
"Just prepared this tonight for the first time and it did not disappoint. Only change was to use whole milk and shredded mild Colby instead of velveeta. This soup was wonderful on a very cold Ohio night. Being someone who loves potato soup, I have to say this is one of the very best potato soup recipes and one I will be making over and over again."
"This is a wonderful soup! Add a can of creamed corn and you will never go back..."
"This is a very good recipe. I have a similar recipe but without the bacon and it is just as good. It didn't get as thick as I had assumed it would. Not sure what happened. I even added more like 4-5 T. flour. HMMMM????"
"Just had this tonight. This is one of the best potato soups I've ever had. Very filling and can also freeze for later. A real keeper."
"This was awesome! Very easy and delicious. We would double the recipe, if we had our boys home from college."