- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally; drain drippings. Add vegetables, seasonings and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Mix flour and milk until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in cheese until melted. If desired, serve with green onions. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews forBest-Ever Potato Soup
"I highly recommend you cook your bacon strips first before dicing them. Once they're crispy they're much easier to cut. Also I don't recommend the flour step, so far all potato soup I've made has had the perfect consistency with just the potatoes getting a little mashed and the cheese doing its own thing.Also as others suggested, I recommend cutting the cheese back a touch. Velveeta is already very thick and provides a lot of its own unique flavor. I went majority cheddar cheese and about a five ounce block of velveeta.And, as a presence, I added some green onion into the soup verses on top."
"Just as good as restaurant Potato soup! I did not have any parsley so omitted and no celery seed so added celery salt. After cooking on stove used my pressure cooker simmer for 1 hour. It was the best. I did only use half the amount of velveeta however I thought it might me to cheesy so that was perfect."
"I prepared as directed. It was a very heavy, rich, and filling soup. I think if I make it again I would use a different cheese. I wasn't a fan of the velveeta flavor. It looked beautiful and my family liked it. I thought it was just okay, but I'll try it again maybe with cheddar or Colby cheddar mix."
"Great...try adding a tad (2 tsp) fresh dill....adds an additional depth."
"Made it this evening. Tastes very good. Shared with neighbors and they wanted recipe. Very filling."
"Just prepared this tonight for the first time and it did not disappoint. Only change was to use whole milk and shredded mild Colby instead of velveeta. This soup was wonderful on a very cold Ohio night. Being someone who loves potato soup, I have to say this is one of the very best potato soup recipes and one I will be making over and over again."
"This is a wonderful soup! Add a can of creamed corn and you will never go back..."