- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a shallow bowl, mix the first six ingredients. In a separate shallow bowl, whisk egg, milk and lemon juice until blended. Dip chicken in flour mixture to coat all sides; shake off excess. Dip in egg mixture, then again in flour mixture.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry chicken, a few pieces at a time, 6-10 minutes on each side or until golden brown and chicken juices run clear. Drain on paper towels. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Best-Ever Fried Chicken
"Used boneless skinless chicken breasts. Pretty good! Did have trouble with the batter sticking though."
"Sound like a great recipe, but to much in calories."
"We thought this was delicious. I always add a bit more of the spices as called for so we find a lack of flavor at all. I had to use gluten free all purpose flour to coat the chicken in and it was still quite delicious!"
"It was the worst I have tasted,I had to cover it with BBQ sauce. May it needs more seasoning."
"Loved this; however, I think the coating needs more seasoning. I added red pepper, and next time I will use Emeril's Essence. First time making fried chicken and it was awesome!"
"This is the recipe that I have found after years of trying to be the best and most reliable. I substitute Accent for the salt. From time to time I will use Dixie Fry chicken Seasoning mix instead of flour. Either way, Lola nailed it.If you have trouble getting the batter to stick, put battered chicken into the freezer for 15-20 min then go directly to the fryer."
"Excellent! Next time I will try adding more spices."
"Excellent! Added a few more spices as Thyme, rosemary, garlic."
"Simple & very good!"
"Loved this recipe! I soaked my chicken pieces in whole buttermilk overnight, and then proceeded with the recipe for the dipping order before frying them. So juicy!"