- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a shallow bowl, mix the first six ingredients. In a separate shallow bowl, whisk egg, milk and lemon juice until blended. Dip chicken in flour mixture to coat all sides; shake off excess. Dip in egg mixture, then again in flour mixture.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry chicken, a few pieces at a time, 6-10 minutes on each side or until golden brown and chicken juices run clear. Drain on paper towels. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forBest-Ever Fried Chicken
"This is the recipe that I have found after years of trying to be the best and most reliable. I substitute Accent for the salt. From time to time I will use Dixie Fry chicken Seasoning mix instead of flour. Either way, Lola nailed it.If you have trouble getting the batter to stick, put battered chicken into the freezer for 15-20 min then go directly to the fryer.To change it up a little substitute pickle juice for the lemon juice."
"I had a chicken thawed to bake last night, then saw this recipe and tried it. It was the best ever. The chickens available to buy now are huge and flavorless. This recipe has seasons perfectly balanced with flavor to enhance the chicken flavor and reminded me of the ones we had in my childhood. VERY Good!"
"not bad. the one step that appears to be missing from what I do is once its coated to let it set for about 20 minutes to dry out the coating and then it seems to adhear a little better and get more crunch. made this as the recipe states and just added that step to it. will make again but as other reviews state, may up the seasoning amount a little bit."
"This was my first time making fried chicken, and it turned out well; however, we thought it could use more seasoning. I would definitely make it again but would increase the seasonings."
"Used boneless skinless chicken breasts. Pretty good! Did have trouble with the batter sticking though."
"Sound like a great recipe, but to much in calories."
"We thought this was delicious. I always add a bit more of the spices as called for so we find a lack of flavor at all. I had to use gluten free all purpose flour to coat the chicken in and it was still quite delicious!"
"It was the worst I have tasted,I had to cover it with bbq sauce. May it needs more seasoning."
"Loved this; however, I think the coating needs more seasoning. I added red pepper, and next time I will use Emeril's Essence. First time making fried chicken and it was awesome!"