VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large egg white
- Coarse salt
- Combine 1-1/2 cups flour, yeast, sugar and salt. In a small saucepan, heat milk, 1/4 cup water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed just until moistened. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover with plastic and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Punch down dough. Pinch off golf ball-size pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll into pencil-size strips. Place on greased baking sheets 1 in. apart. Cover and let rise for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Beat egg white and remaining water; brush over breadsticks. Sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake until golden, about 10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 18 breadsticks.
Originally published as Best-Ever Breadsticks in Country Woman November/December 1990, p35