- 1-1/2 pounds bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (31 ounces) pork and beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add green pepper and onion; saute until tender. Drain. Add remaining ingredients.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 325° for 1 hour. Uncover. bake 20-30 minutes longer or until bubbly. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews forBest-Ever Beans and Sausage
"I thought this was delicious. When it was time to bake uncovered, I added a prepared cornbread batter on top and evenly smoothed it over. It baked beautifully. The cornbread was a nice compliment to the dish. I will make this again."
"My recipe is similar, however, substitute 1 lb. BACON - crispy, carmelize a VIDALIA ONION using some of the bacon grease, cut brown sugar down to 1/2 cup, use 3/4 cup ketchup and add 1 bottle of chili SAUCE - perfect flavor combinations and not overly sweet, but tangy!"
"These are great! I made them in the crock pot since I was going to be gone all day. 4-5 hours on low and they were perfect!"
"These are delicious! The recipe I make, given to me by my dear friend, is a slight variation of this. Instead of the ketchup, mine calls for a standard can of tomato soup, undiluted, and a very small can of tomato paste. The result would be not so sweet. I have taken this dish to many picnics/potlucks and it is always a big hit!"
"I have not made the recipe, was just wondering how long you cooked it in the slow cooker?"
"I have made this recipe many times over the years. I neglected to review them...should have...! These are great. I often serve them as part of our 4th of July "picnic on the porch" for my Mom's birthday. I like to assemble the recipe and "cook" them in the slow cooker."
"The recipe name and high rating don't lie! These really are the Best-Ever Beans and Sausage! Closely followed directions but also added leftover ham. Corn-chips, salad and a PB pie made the perfect fall meal. Baked in oven or slow cooker- these really are the 'Best-Ever'! As a volunteer feild editor with Taste of Home magazine I enjoy using time tested classic recipes that can feed a hungry family."
"My grand kids loved it. I will cook this again."
"I really liked these beans! Grandma and husband did not though, which sadly means that I probably won't be making it again. Grandma says it is a weird combination of flavors. Husband says it is too sweet. You can't win 'em all!"
"made this and it tastes great..a couple people that like traditional baked beans with ground beef thrown in probably won't like it because its too much flavor for them...my grown kids who none like baked beans , including myself really liked this..i love it because it has so much flavor and i like spicy too."