- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, combine the eggs, bananas, oil, buttermilk and vanilla; add to flour mixture, stirring just until combined. Fold in nuts.
- Pour into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 325° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews forBest-Ever Banana Bread
"A really, really good recipe. I don’t usually tried recipes that are labeled “best ever”, but I had the ingredients for this one. The bread is moist, is has the right texture and strong banana flavor. A definnite winner. I used a scant cup on the oil simply because I ran out and it was still very moist."
"It’s in the oven now. Sure smells good baking! I checked at one hour and was still gooey in center. Checked again in 5 minutes (as suggested by another reviewer) and it was done! I had lined the loaf pan with parchment paper, so I cooled for 10 minutes and lifted it out to finish cooling. Smells and looks delicious! My whole house smells like bananas!"
"This turned out wonderfully. I used bananas that were black to get a great banana flavor.I think I may try less sugar next time. perhaps 1 cup."
"This is my favorite banana bread recipe, I think my family lets the bananas turn brown so I will make this. LOL The only thing I do is dust the pans(I always double it, and put 1 loaf in the freezer) with cinnamon & sugar. YUMMMMMMMY"
"I will never look for another banana bread recipe! This one completely lives up to its name!"
"This is definitely the best banana bread I've ever tasted. My whole family loves it."
"Whenever I have extra bananas this is the recipe I reach for to make banana nut bread. In fact I have shared it 5 times with different friends; it's that good."
"Omitted the walnuts due to allergies. Sprinkled turbinado sugar on top before baking. It disappeared fast, definitely will double the recipe next time!"
"The best banana bread. Followed recipe except I used just over a cup of banana, and used pecans (ran out of walnuts). Then I made into 12 muffins. Baked at 325 for 35 minutes. PERFECT!"