Best-Ever Asparagus/Ham Rolls
This is an easy dish to prepare, yet elegant enough for company. I'm always asked for the recipe. I adapted it from one of my mother's recipes. And now, this is one of the few ways I can get our daughters to enjoy asparagus!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 16 slices sandwich-type ham
- Prepared mustard
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced, optional
- Cook asparagus until crisp-tender. Spread one side of each ham slice with mustard. Roll ham around 2-3 asparagus spears. Layer rolls, seam side down, in an 11x7-in. baking dish. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Blend in flour until smooth. Slowly stir in milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese and, if desired, onions. Pour over ham rolls.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 262 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 645mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as Best-Ever Asparagus 'n' Ham Rolls in Country Extra March 1991
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.