This is an easy dish to prepare, yet elegant enough for company. I'm always asked for the recipe. I adapted it from one of my mother's recipes. And now, this is one of the few ways I can get our daughters to enjoy asparagus!
Recommended: 26 Ways to Eat Asparagus This Spring
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 16 slices sandwich-type ham
- Prepared mustard
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced, optional
- Cook asparagus to crisp-tender. Spread one side of each ham slice with mustard. Roll ham around 2-3 asparagus spears. Layer rolls, seam side down, in a 7-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Blend in flour to form a paste. Slowly stir in milk, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until sauce is thickened. Stir in cheese and onions, if desired. Pour hot sauce over ham rolls. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Best-Ever Asparagus/Ham Rolls in Country Extra March 1991, p45