- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Minced chives
- In a large saucepan, saute the mushrooms and onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour and curry powder until blended. Gradually add the broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the pumpkin, milk, honey, salt, pepper and nutmeg; heat through. Garnish with chives if desired. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews forBest Curried Pumpkin Soup
"I did a mash-up of this recipe and a Weight Watchers recipe. I omitted the mushrooms (not a fan) and the evaporated milk, instead opting for using one 15oz can of drained and rinsed Navy Beans, and swapped the veggie broth with chicken broth (as I had no veggie broth on hand). When the soup was cooked, we pureed the soup in small batches to give it a "creamy" consistency closer to what it would have had with the milk. Loved the flavor profile - perfect blend of savory and sweet with just enough spicy kick...will definitely be sure to try the soup with the evaporated milk at least one time to compare!"
"Great flavorful soup. I omitted the honey because I don't care for sweet soups, used a full teaspoon of curry powder and more mushrooms. I also added 1/4 teaspoon cayenne and 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger and I substituted coconut milk to make it vegan. Thanks very much."
"I have made this soup for Thanksgiving since receiving my Oct/Nov 2000 issue. However, I make my vegie broth using vegetable bullion paste and make it a tiny bit strong...then I omit the salt and honey and use half and half instead of the evaporated milk. For a thicker soup I reduce the broth liquid by 1/2 a cup."
"Really is the best pumpkin soup recipe! I didn't have that many muchrooms (about half) so made up the difference with grated parsnips and added a very little ground ginger too. Great! :-)"
"This was too sweet for me. I think using real pumpkin instead of canned pumpkin could make a difference."
"My family absolutely loves this soup. It is very savory. I add a little extra curry powder to mine."
"I doubled this recipe to bring to a church thing. The whole pot was empty when we left. I got quite a few compliments on the soup too. It turned out very good."