Best Clam Chowder
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes9 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 4 cups cubed red potatoes
- 3 cups water
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 3 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) chopped clams, drained
- 2/3 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- In a large saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and cold water until smooth. Stir into potato mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add clams and cheese; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Stir in milk; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 170 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 502mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Dec 3, 2017
Excellent soup and east to make. Very flavorful. Due to personal preference, I reduce the pepper and add more clams. Haven’t made any other clam chowder since I found this recipe. Thank you, Joy
Jul 30, 2013
was very good and easy to make!
Mar 30, 2010
I love it!!!! Have made it multiple times for my family!
Jan 27, 2010
I discovered this recipe last year & we loved it we make it as often as we can now.
Jan 10, 2010
Too much pepper. Perhaps needs little to none. I think I would go for a more traditional recipe for clam chowder the next time.
Apr 20, 2008
I have made this recipe 5 times since I found it in the Taste of Home Annual. Incredible. I've made it for my Mother and she loves it. The only thing I do different, is use 4 cans of clams. Great recipe. Thanks
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.