Best Chocolate Raspberry Torte Recipe
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- CHOCOLATE FROSTING:
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- RASPBERRY FILLING:
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup red raspberry preserves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon raspberry liqueur
- CHOCOLATE DRIZZLE:
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Chocolate curls and fresh raspberries
- 1. Line three 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper; grease and flour the pans and paper. Set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and baking powder; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- 3. Transfer to prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. For frosting, in a small heavy saucepan, melt chips and butter over low heat. Transfer to a large bowl; cool for 5 minutes. Stir in sour cream. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth.
- 5. For filling, in a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add the preserves, sugar and liqueur; beat until stiff peaks form.
- 6. Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/2 cup filling. Top with another cake layer and spread with 1/2 cup frosting. Repeat layers. Top with another cake layer, 1/2 cup filling and remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
- 7. For drizzle, place chips and butter in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Place mixture in a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Pipe a lattice design over top of cake, allowing some drizzle to drape down the sides. Decorate with chocolate curls and raspberries as desired. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 servings.
To Make Ahead: Bake and assemble the torte 1 day in advance. Garnish just before serving.
1 slice: 656 calories, 31g fat (19g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 301mg sodium, 94g carbohydrate (75g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Best Chocolate Raspberry Torte
"This is the best.It's nice for special occasions."
"The cakes did not rise at all making it impossible to cut them in two. The raspberry filling is too thin and therefore could not be used in the cake. The frosting turned out well. I am an accomplished cook with over 35 years experience. I am so disappointed in this recipe. This was supposed to be served on Xmas Day. My own fault--I should have tested the recipe first. When it comes to cakes it is best to follow the recipe from a true and tested cookbook rather than an online source."
"This is beautiful and delicious!"
"I made it for my husband's customer's birthday and everyone LOVED it."
"Truly scrumptious. I used a quart of frozen pureed raspberries blended in with the whipped cream, as well as doubled the filling. Everyone loved it. Thanks for a wonderful, elegant recipe."
"How would I make this without using whip cream? It looks wonderful."
"This real good special for feb 15. San valentine day 100%"
"This was delicious! I would make this again but double the raspberry filling. The picture shows nice, even layers and fillings but there wasn't enough filling in this recipe to show the layers really well when I cut into mine. My cake was a bit too crumbly as well. I will need to play around with that to fix that problem. Tasted delicious, though, and everyone loved it."
"My 17-year-old daughter made this for my 45th birthday two days ago. It was absolutely delicious!!! Totally recommend it! She said she doubled the raspberry filling and didn't use the liqueur. Heavenly!!"