- 3 cans (16 ounces each) sliced beets
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup vinegar
- 12 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 25 whole cloves, tied in a cheesecloth bag
- Drain the beets, reserving 1-1/2 cups of juice in a large saucepan. Add cornstarch to juice and mix well. Add beets and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the sauce is slightly thickened, stirring often. Remove the spice bag. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews forBest Chilled Beets
"I agree that's a little bit to much salt lol. I never liked beets but I tried these at the farmer's market and they were delicious. I make them all the time."
"I AGREE.... MISPRINTED ABOVE. SHOULD READ 1/2 TSP. IS MORE THAN PLENTY ...I'D CUT IT DOWN TO 1/4 TSP. .. IF ANY AT ALL FOR STORE BOUGHT IN THE CAN BEETS."
"LOL, I better change my copy because I doubt I would make this recipe if it took 12 tsp. of salt.....LOLI am sure it should a half, but I bet you could get away using 1/4 tsp. since you are using canned beets.Mary"
" Shouldn't that read1/2 teaspoon salt?one half teaspoon, that is ViolaB
"I am saving the recipe as I LOVE Pickled Beets. You are right, some of the ingredients sound a little odd, but I am sure it all blends together....TY"