- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3 to 3-1/2 pounds each)
- 1-1/2 quarts chicken broth
- 2-1/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- Combine the first four ingredients; rub over chickens. Place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until tender. Drain and reserve drippings. Skim fat. Cool chicken; debone and cut into chunks. Cover and refrigerate chicken.
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, bring chicken broth and reserved drippings to a boil. Add mushrooms, celery, carrots, onion and pepper; simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for noodles, set aside 1/3 cup of flour. Combine salt and remaining flour in a bowl. Beat eggs, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients. Sprinkle kneading surface with reserved flour; knead dough until smooth. Divide into thirds. Roll out each portion to 1/8-in. thickness; cut to desired width. Freeze two portions to use at another time. Bring soup to a boil. Add one portion of noodles; cook for 7-9 minutes or until almost tender. Add chicken; heat through. Yield: 10 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Reviews forBest Chicken Noodle Soup
"The soup was a bit thick and bland for our taste-but we loved the noodles!!"
"This sounds (and looks good) I want to try the homemade noodles with the Evaporated milk. Thanks for posting!Alliea"