Best Beets Recipe
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1/3 cup water or beet liquid
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 cups cooked, sliced beets
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash white pepper
- 1. In saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch. Add vinegar and water or beet juice; bring to a boil. Add all remaining ingredients; reduce heat to simmer. Heat through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
3/4 cup: 142 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 282mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Best Beets
"I had never made beets before. Our neighbor brought a few over from his garden. I had always turned my nose up at beets when they were served at family gatherings. I tried this recipe, and it was wonderful! I never knew that I liked beets."
"Absolutely declicious and easy as can be!! I used 1/2 Cup of sugar and 2 Tbsp of butter. I also used fresh beets that I roasted in the oven."
"This was a pretty good recipe. I used only half the butter and that was fine. Next time I think I will add a little lemon juice to the beet water."
"I didn't think I liked beets until I ate some my mother-in-law prepared. I asked for the recipe and this was the one she gave me! That was nineteen years ago."