- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1/3 cup water or beet liquid
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 cups cooked, sliced beets
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash white pepper
- In saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch. Add vinegar and water or beet juice; bring to a boil. Add all remaining ingredients; reduce heat to simmer. Heat through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forBest Beets
"I had never made beets before. Our neighbor brought a few over from his garden. I had always turned my nose up at beets when they were served at family gatherings. I tried this recipe, and it was wonderful! I never knew that I liked beets."
"Absolutely declicious and easy as can be!! I used 1/2 Cup of sugar and 2 Tbsp of butter. I also used fresh beets that I roasted in the oven."
"This was a pretty good recipe. I used only half the butter and that was fine. Next time I think I will add a little lemon juice to the beet water."
"I didn't think I liked beets until I ate some my mother-in-law prepared. I asked for the recipe and this was the one she gave me! That was nineteen years ago."