Best Beefy Burgers with Roasted Onion & Peppercorn Mayo
Remember those times when only a burger in all its smoky, juicy, jumbo-layered, lettuce pickle madness can hit the spot? Roasted red onions and mayo blended with crushed peppercorns make this the spot-on burger. —Melissa Jelinek, Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns, crushed
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 4 kaiser rolls, split and toasted
- Optional ingredients: tomato slices and lettuce leaves
- Place onion on a greased baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt; toss to coat. Bake at 400° for 8-12 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, crushed peppercorns and onion mixture; set aside.
- Sprinkle beef with remaining salt; gently mix. Shape into four patties. In a large skillet, cook patties over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Serve on rolls with mayonnaise mixture and, if desired, tomato and lettuce.
Nutrition Facts1 burger with 2 tablespoons mayonnaise mixture (calculated without optional ingredients): 712 calories, 48g fat (11g saturated fat), 115mg cholesterol, 1292mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 36g protein.
Originally published as Basic Burger with Roasted Red Onion and Peppercorn Mayo in Taste of Home February/March 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.