Best Banana Ice Cream
- 4 cups half-and-half cream
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- Dash salt
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas (4 to 5 medium)
- 1. In a large heavy saucepan, heat half-and-half to 175°; stir in sugar and salt until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in the whipping cream, milk and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- 3. Stir in bananas. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving.
1/2 cup: 309 calories, 20g fat (12g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 58mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Feb 10, 2019This recipe looks wonderful, however, I wanted to be sure that 5 ounces was the correct measurement for the evaporated milk considering the higher yield, meaning the 3 quart output, for this recipe? Anyone?? Thanks
Feb 3, 2017After reviewing a few sites, I finally settled on a recipe from Taste of Home.com. The base works great and I’ve used it for a few different flavors but banana is the favorite so far. While there are plenty of healthy options out there, let’s be serious, who wants healthy ice cream? If I am going to eat ice cream, I want it creamy and delicious; this is also why I’m fat. So be warned, while delicious, this stuff will pack on the pounds.
Feb 3, 2017After reviewing a few sites, I finally settled on this recipe from Taste of Home.com. The base works great and I’ve used it for a few different flavors but banana is the favorite so far. While there are plenty of healthy options out there, let’s be serious, who wants healthy ice cream? If I am going to eat ice cream, I want it creamy and delicious; this is also why I’m fat. So be warned, while delicious, this stuff will pack on the pounds.
Sep 11, 2016
This ice cream is appropriately named! This is the best ice cream I've ever made. Creamy and rich with great banana flavor. I made it exactly by the recipe and wouldn't advise changing anything. Although I'm not a huge ice cream fan, this stuff was addictive!!!!
May 30, 2016
I ran short of cream and had to supplement with 1/2 c WalMart Sweet Italian Cream coffee creamer. It was still fantastic, and very easy to put together. Unlike some other recipes I've tried, leftovers did not freeze solid as a rock but retained a smooth, lovely "ice cream" consistency. Thumbs up for this one!
Jul 28, 2015
I loved it! I added a box of banana pudding and two cans of eagle brand milk. Try it, it's delicious!
Jul 23, 2015
I didn't change a thing and it was PERFECT! it was creamy, but not too sweet. I did however, keep it in an ice bath till cooled and skipped the refrigeration. I was needing to make it then. Again......it was PERFECT!
Sep 22, 2014
Thank you for sharing! Husband and I made it last night with our Kitchen Aid ice cream maker. Added walnuts and then froze overnight. Delicious today! Best banana walnut ice cream I've ever had!
Dec 31, 1969
I halved the recipe and added walnuts and chocolate chips to make homemade Chunky Monkey, it is absolutely wonderful.
Dec 31, 1969
Thank you for sharing this recipe. This is the best ice cream I have ever tasted! It's absolutely addictive! I am trying to re-create the Fantasia ice cream that Disneyland used to sell and banana ice cream is part of it. Thanks to you, I'm off to a great start!