Berry-Spinach Salad with Almonds
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a small skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add almonds; sprinkle with sugar. Cook and stir for 3 minutes or until almonds are lightly browned. Spread on foil to cool; break apart.
- In a large salad bowl, combine spinach and strawberries. In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients. Pour over salad. Sprinkle with sugared almonds; toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 153 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 28mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 13, 2012
This salad is delicious! It was a hit at a potluck I took it to -- only a leaf or two of spinach left in the bowl! I changed the dressing around a bit. I used less sugar -- only 4 or 5 tablespoons instead of a half cup. I used 1/3 cup of the cider vinegar, only 3-4 tablespoons of oil, and 3-4 tablespoons water to make up for the extra oil. (I often use this trick of halving the oil and adding a bit of extra vinegar and water to make up the volume of dressing -- it reduces the fat a lot without changing the flavor much.) A salad I will definitely be making again!
May 26, 2012
This salad is soooo good and I don't even like spinach! I just used almond slices in the salad instead of cooking them with the butter and sugar. I added some extra cider vinager too! Will definetly make it again.
Jun 6, 2009
This salad is oh-so tasty. I used one 9 oz bag of spinach, but I recommend using a bit more, because it makes a good amount of dressing.