"As a family, we're trying to cut down on the fat in our diets without giving up good taste," says field editor Harriet Stichter of Milford, Indiana. "This crisp cabbage salad, featuring strawberries and cranberries, is a great warm-weather pick-me-up."
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple or cranberry juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 6 cups shredded cabbage
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- In a large bowl, combine the vinegar, apple juice, sugar, salt and pepper; add cabbage. Toss gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight, stirring occasionally. Just before serving, stir in strawberries and cranberries.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 74 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 212mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fruit.
Originally published as Berry Slaw in Taste of Home June/July 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.