I combined my mother's and mother-in-law's strawberry shortcake recipes to come up with the ultimate summer treat. —Barb Mohr, Green Bay, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the strawberries, blueberries and 2 tablespoons sugar; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine milk and sour cream; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened.
- Spread batter into a greased 9-in. pie plate (batter will be thick). Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 350° for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes; cut into six wedges.
- To assemble, cut each wedge in half; place bottoms on dessert plates. Top each with berry mixture. Replace wedge tops. Garnish with whipped cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 251 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 188mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Jul 22, 2012
Absolute hit with everyone. We did put the berries through the food processor and added homemade whipped bream, the cake was great!
Jun 1, 2010
I get asked to make this again and again. It is a summer favorite of family and friends.