Berry Pretty Pork Roast
"Berries add such wonderful flavor to recipes," notes Paula Marchesi of Lenhartsville, Pennsylvania. "This moist roast is perfect for special dinners. Slices are particularly tasty when served with the cooking juices."
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours + standing
- 1 boneless whole pork loin roast (about 2-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted dried plums
- 1/3 cup each fresh or frozen blueberries, raspberries and sliced strawberries
- 2 garlic cloves, cut into slivers
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup red wine or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon seedless raspberry jam
- Make a lengthwise slit down the center of the roast to within 1/2 in. of bottom. Open roast so it lies flat; cover with plastic wrap. Flatten to 3/4-in. thickness. Remove plastic; Combine the fruit; place on one side of roast. Close roast; tie several times with kitchen string and secure ends with toothpicks.
- Cut slits in roasts; insert garlic slivers. Place in an ungreased shallow baking pan. Drizzle with butter; sprinkle with oregano, salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine the wine or broth, brown sugar and jam. Drizzle over roast. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 75-80 minutes or until a thermometer reaches 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 220 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 140mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Berry Pretty Pork Roast in Quick Cooking November/December 2002