Berry-Port Game Hens
This recipe uses only five ingredients to create a simple but elegant entree. It’s one of my favorite dishes to serve. —Josephine Piro, Easton, PA
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1 large orange
- 2 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup ruby port wine or grape juice
- 1/4 cup seedless strawberry jam
- 5 teaspoons stone-ground mustard
- Finely grate peel from orange to measure 1 teaspoon. Cut orange in half widthwise; cut a thin slice from each half. Quarter slices and set aside. Juice the orange to measure 1/4 cup.
- Loosen skin around hen breasts and thighs; place orange slices under the skin.
- Place hens in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the wine, jam and orange juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 6-8 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in mustard and orange peel.
- Set aside 1/2 cup sauce for serving; brush remaining sauce over hens. Bake hens 10-20 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 180°, basting occasionally with pan juices. Warm reserved sauce; serve with hens.
Originally published as Roast Game Hens with Port Strawberry Sauce in Taste of Home December/January 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.