- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon curd
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line bottom of a a greased 15x10x1-in. pan with parchment paper; grease paper.
- Beat egg yolks and eggs on high speed 3 minutes. Gradually add sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in water, oil and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; fold into egg mixture. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake until top springs back when lightly touched, 10-12 minutes. Cool 5 minutes. Invert onto a tea towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in lemon curd. Gently fold in strawberries.
- Unroll cake; spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again, without towel; trim ends. Place on a platter, seam side down. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour. Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forBerry Pinwheel Cake
"The cake was so dry I threw it out before making the filling. Maybe the flour mixture is not to be beaten in but folded into the egg mixture?"