Perfect for special meals, this lovely chiffon cake is a nice change from strawberry pie or shortcake. Don't be afraid t try this jelly-roll-style dessert...it's easy to make. Plus, the waxed paper-lined pan helps make cleanup a breeze!
Recommended: 35 Treats Quick Enough to Make on a Weeknight
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon curd
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line bottom of a a greased 15x10x1-in. pan with parchment paper; grease paper.
- Beat egg yolks and eggs on high speed 3 minutes. Gradually add sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in water, oil and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; fold into egg mixture. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake until top springs back when lightly touched, 10-12 minutes. Cool 5 minutes. Invert onto a tea towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in lemon curd. Gently fold in strawberries.
- Unroll cake; spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again, without towel; trim ends. Place on a platter, seam side down. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour. Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Berry Pinwheel Cake in Taste of Home June/July 2005, p29
Reviews forBerry Pinwheel Cake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 13, 2011
"The cake was so dry I threw it out before making the filling. Maybe the flour mixture is not to be beaten in but folded into the egg mixture?"
Reviewed Oct. 22, 2008