Lightly glazed fresh fruit nestled in delicate pastry creates a looks-like-you-fussed dessert. Shares TerryAnn Moore of Vineland, New Jersey. "One taste of the crisp-tender shell topped with sweet berries, and I don't miss those confections with more fat and sugar."
Recommended: Key Lime Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 12 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 1 cup navel orange sections
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup each fresh raspberries, blueberries and blackberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
- Fresh mint, optional
- Roll up phyllo dough and cut into 1/4-in.-wide strips. Place strips in a large bowl; toss with butter, sugar and orange zest until coated. Divide strips into six portions; shape into nests on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 5-7 minutes or until golden.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, heat marmalade until melted. In a large bowl, combine the oranges and berries in a large bowl; drizzle with marmalade and juices. Sprinkle with lemon and lime zest; gently toss to coat. Just before serving, spoon into nests. Garnish with mint if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Berry Phyllo Tarts in Light & Tasty April/May 2001, p5