Berry-Mandarin Tossed Salad Recipe
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon grated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- Dash salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 8 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin orange, drained
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced into rings
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1. In a 2-cup microwave-safe bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1-2 minutes; stir until sugar is dissolved. Whisk in oil. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- 2. In a salad bowl, combine the greens, strawberries, oranges, onion, almonds and bacon. Drizzle with dressing and gently toss to coat. Yield: 12-14 servings.
1 each: 125 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 50mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Berry-Mandarin Tossed Salad
"A real winner.....absolutely delicious just as written. Love the strawberries in it, they add wonderful flavor and make it look so pretty."
"Made this for the first time yesterday. It was so good and got many compliments. Even our eleven year old granddaughters gobbled it up, but picked out the onions. Most kids are not fond of raw onions."
"This recipe is absolutely perfect as written. I brought this to our after golf group meal twice and it has been a home run each time!"
"Have made this for many occasions and it is a hit every time."
"I did not use the berries either, as they are not in season. Instead, I just added extra mandarin oranges. Everyone loved this salad (including the 4 men at the table)!"
"I prefer simple, homemade salad dressings rather than bottled ones. This is a keeper!"
"I have been making this salad for several years and always get rave reviews and requests for the recipe. I prep everything the night before but I don't combine the dressing, berries or mandarins with the other ingredients until right before serving. Instead of mixed greens I just use a package (3) of Romaine hearts."
"Good, takes a long time for dressing to cool; makes ALOT"
"I have made this recipe many times. I'm always asked for the recipe, so many times that I keep a copy on my computer ready to print out. My tweaks: For the dressing, I use only 1 Tablespoon honey; omit the grated onion; omit the celery seed. I add poppy seeds and sesame seeds, probably 1/4 tsp each, maybe a little more. For the salad, I omit the onion, bacon, and plain almonds. I add either candied almonds or candied pecans pre-made from the grocery store. Delish!"
"Sent to Laurel 8/29/08."