Berry Ice Cream Charlotte
Cake slices, strawberry ice cream and ganache make this a special dessert. It takes some time to prepare but it can be stored in the freezer for up to a week before serving.—Suzette Jury, Keene, California
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 10 min. + freezing
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup seedless strawberry jam
- 18 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 cups strawberry ice cream, softened
- Whipped cream and fresh strawberries
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in 1/4 cup sugar. Beat in oil and vanilla. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together; gradually add to yolk mixture and mix well.
- Beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into batter. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 8-12 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Line a 4-qt. bowl with plastic wrap. Unroll cake; spread jam evenly over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Cut into 1/2-in. slices; place in prepared bowl, completely covering the bottom and sides. Cover and freeze until cake is firm.
- For ganache, place chocolate in a bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Spread 1 cup of ice cream into cake-lined bowl; top with 1/2 cup ganache. Repeat layers four times. Top with remaining ice cream. Cover and freeze until firm.
- Just before serving, remove from the freezer and invert onto a serving plate. Remove bowl and plastic wrap. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting into wedges. Garnish with whipped cream and strawberries.