Berry Ice Cream Charlotte
Cake slices, strawberry ice cream and ganache make this a special dessert. It takes some time to prepare but it can be stored in the freezer for up to a week before serving.—Suzette Jury, Keene, California
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 10 min. + freezing
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup seedless strawberry jam
- 18 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 cups strawberry ice cream, softened
- Whipped cream and fresh strawberries
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in 1/4 cup sugar. Beat in oil and vanilla. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together; gradually add to yolk mixture and mix well.
- Beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into batter. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 8-12 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Line a 4-qt. bowl with plastic wrap. Unroll cake; spread jam evenly over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Cut into 1/2-in. slices; place in prepared bowl, completely covering the bottom and sides. Cover and freeze until cake is firm.
- For ganache, place chocolate in a bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Spread 1 cup of ice cream into cake-lined bowl; top with 1/2 cup ganache. Repeat layers four times. Top with remaining ice cream. Cover and freeze until firm.
- Just before serving, remove from the freezer and invert onto a serving plate. Remove bowl and plastic wrap. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting into wedges. Garnish with whipped cream and strawberries.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 496 calories, 26g fat (14g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 131mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Berry Charlotte in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.