VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, optional
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1/2 cup crushed strawberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups quartered strawberries
- 1-1/2 cups fresh raspberries
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt; gradually stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes more.
- Remove from the heat and stir a small amount of hot filling into egg; return all to the saucepan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; gently stir in vanilla and almond extract if desired. Cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form; fold into filling. Pour into pastry shell. Chill for at least 2 hours.
- About 2 hours before serving, prepare glaze. In a large saucepan, combine crushed strawberries and water; cook for 2 minutes. Combine sugar and cornstarch; gradually add to the pan. Cook and stir until thickened and clear; strain. Cool for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, arrange quartered strawberries and raspberries over filling; pour glaze evenly over berries. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Berry Cream Pie in Best of Country Pies 2001, p23
Reviews forBerry Cream Pie
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 6, 2014