Berry Brunch Strata
I wanted a simple way to use strawberries and blueberries in a breakfast recipe, so I created this strata. It's not an overly sweet recipe so I like to sprinkle it with sugar and serve it with sweetened whipped cream.—Diane Denny, Jacksonville, Florida
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 1 prepared angel food cake (10 to 12 ounces), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12 large eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Coarse sugar
- Sweetened whipped cream, optional
- Place cake cubes in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, salt and cinnamon until blended. Gradually beat in eggs, beginning with one at a time. Stir in cream. Fold in berries. Pour over cake cubes. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove strata from refrigerator while oven heats; sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake, uncovered, 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. If desired, serve with whipped cream.
Originally published as Angel Strata in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.