Berry Brunch Strata
I wanted a simple way to use strawberries and blueberries in a breakfast recipe, so I created this strata. It's not an overly sweet recipe so I like to sprinkle it with sugar and serve it with sweetened whipped cream.—Diane Denny, Jacksonville, Florida
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 1 prepared angel food cake (10 to 12 ounces), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12 large eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Coarse sugar
- Sweetened whipped cream, optional
- Place cake cubes in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, salt and cinnamon until blended. Gradually beat in eggs, beginning with one at a time. Stir in cream. Fold in berries. Pour over cake cubes. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove strata from refrigerator while oven heats; sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake, uncovered, 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. If desired, serve with whipped cream.