Berry Brunch Coffee Cake
This golden berry-filled coffee cake is crowned with even more plump, fresh berries. “Living on a farm in Wisconsin, we love using the blackcaps (wild black raspberries) that grow in our woods,” says Sheri Kratcha of Avoca.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons 2% milk
- 1 cup fresh raspberries or blackberries
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cold butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 to 5 teaspoons 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with milk. Fold in raspberries.
- Pour half of the batter into an 8-in. fluted tube pan coated with cooking spray and dusted with flour. In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter. Top with remaining batter.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Combine glaze ingredients until smooth; drizzle over warm cake.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 464 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 270mg sodium, 74g carbohydrate (51g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Berry Brunch Coffee Cake in Cooking for 2 Summer 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.