Berry Bread with Spread
The recipe for these two loaves and the creamy strawberry spread came from my mother's collection. I added macadamia nuts to give the fruit bread a fun crunch and tropical flair. —Pat Stewart Lees Summit, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (10 slices each) and about 1 cup spread
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 jar (3 ounces) macadamia nuts, chopped
- For strawberry spread, in a small bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Drain strawberries, reserving 1/4 cup juice for bread batter. Beat 6 tablespoons berries into the cream cheese. Set remaining berries aside. Chill spread until serving.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking soda. Combine the eggs, oil, reserved berries and juice. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the nuts (batter will be stiff). Transfer to two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans.
- Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Serve with spread.