Biting into these delicately thin pancake packets sets off an explosion of flavors with every mouthful. "The berries bring a burst of fruity sweetness to the creamy cheese filling," Kristine Wright, St. Joseph, Michigan, observes. "Blintzes makes a luxurious breakfast or brunch...or a finishing touch to meal."
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + standing Bake: 10 min.
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons toasted wheat germ, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup unsweetened blueberries
- 1/2 cup unsweetened raspberries
- 1/2 cup unsweetened sliced strawberries
- In a large bowl, combine the egg whites and milk. Combine the flour, sugar and salt; add to milk mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat a lightly greased 8-in. nonstick skillet over medium heat; pour 1/4 cup batter into the center of skillet. Lift and tilt pan to coat bottom evenly. Cook until top appears dry; turn and cook 15-20 seconds longer. Remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter, greasing skillet as needed. When cool, stack crepes with waxed paper or paper towels in between.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat ricotta and cream until smooth. Beat in 1/2 cup sour cream, sugar, 1 tablespoon wheat germ and vanilla until blended. Spoon about 1/4 cup onto each blintze; fold ends and sides over filling.
- Arrange blintzes folded side down in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; brush with melted butter. Cover and bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Top each blintze with berries and dollop of remaining sour cream. Sprinkle with remaining wheat germ.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 210 calories, 9g fat (6g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 194mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 lean meat, 1 fruit, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Berry Blintzes in Light & Tasty August/September 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.