Here's a delightfully different salad that balances the earthy flavor of beets with the natural sweetness of berries. If you prefer, substitute crumbled feta for the goat cheese. —Amy Lyons, Mounds View, Minnesota
Featured In: 60 Instagram-Worthy Summer Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 each fresh red and golden beets
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Dash salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/2 cup fresh blackberries
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 4 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 1 ounce fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, thinly sliced
- Place beets in an 8-in. square baking dish; add 1 in. of water. Cover and bake at 400° for 30-40 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, oil, honey, salt and pepper; set aside. Cool beets; peel and cut into thin slices.
- In a large bowl, combine the beets, berries, walnuts and shallot. Pour dressing over beet mixture and toss gently to coat. Divide salad greens among four serving plates. Top with beet mixture; sprinkle with cheese and basil. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Berry-Beet Salad in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p61