Bell Pepper Slaw
Try this recipe when you want to round out a small-serving meal with a crisp, creamy slaw without a week's worth of leftovers.—Angela Andrews, Whitby, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup finely shredded cabbage
- 2 tablespoons each diced sweet red pepper, green pepper and celery
- In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolk and cream; gradually add to butter mixture. Stir in the vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly (the dressing will be very thick).
- In a small serving bowl, combine the cabbage, peppers and celery. Add warm dressing and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 151 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 137mg cholesterol, 223mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Bell Pepper Slaw in Taste of Home June/July 1998