Bell Pepper Nachos
"Pepper pieces hold a savory cheese and rice topping in this colorful appetizer," says Aneta Kish of La Crosse, Wisconsin.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 medium green peppers
- 1 medium sweet red pepper
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper
- 2 medium plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Cut peppers into 1-1/2- to 2-in. squares. Cut each square in half diagonally to form two triangles; set aside. In a lightly greased skillet, cook the tomatoes, onion, chili powder and cumin over medium heat for 3 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the rice, Monterey Jack cheese, cilantro and hot pepper sauce. Spoon a heaping tablespoon onto each pepper triangle. Place on greased baking sheets. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Broil 6-8 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and rice is heated through.
Editor's Note: These appetizers can be assembled ahead of time. Place on baking sheets, cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours before broiling.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 65 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 50mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Bell Pepper Nachos in Taste of Home June/July 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.