- 1 can (16 ounces) diced or julienned beets
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) lemon gelatin
- 1-1/2 cups cold water
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 to 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 4 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1/4 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- Lettuce leaves, mayonnaise and sliced pimiento-stuffed olives, optional
- 1. Drain beets, reserving liquid in a 2-cup measuring cup; add enough water to measure 2 cups. Set beets aside. Place beet juice mixture in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in gelatin until dissolved. Add the cold water, onion, horseradish, vinegar and salt. Chill until partially set.
- 2. Stir in the celery, olives and reserved beets. Pour into an 8-in. square dish. Chill until firm, about 3 hours. Cut salad into squares. If desired, serve on a lettuce-lined plate and top with a dollop of mayonnaise and an olive.
1 piece: 47 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 216mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Nov 24, 2015
This recipe had always been one of my favorites. My mother served it often at Thanksgiving and Christmas. I thought I would NEVER find this recipe again! Thank you for sharing and bringing back a childhood favorite!
May 29, 2014
Soooo glad to find recipe for beet salad using gelatin. Very easy to make. I only had sliced canned beets, so diced 'em. Not horseradish fan, used bit extra celery.
Sep 9, 2013
Delicious! Refreshing! Beautiful! My family and friends all loved it. We have a new family favorite, and my next pot-luck contribution.