Beet Salad with Orange Vinaigrette
Here's a lovely salad to celebrate the changing seasons. The flavors of fresh roasted beets, sweet citrus, rich cheese and tangy vinaigrette were meant for each other. —Mary S. Moskovitz, Ventnor, New Jersey
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon chopped shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 fresh beets (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 bunch watercress
- 1/4 cup walnut halves, toasted
- 1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- For vinaigrette, place the first eight ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid; shake well. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place beets in a 13x9-in. baking dish; add 1 in. of water. Bake, covered, until tender, 40-45 minutes. Cool; peel and cut into thin slices.
- Just before serving, arrange watercress on a platter or individual plates; top with beets. Sprinkle with walnuts and cheese. Shake dressing again; drizzle over salad.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 68 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 110mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Roasted Beets and Gorgonzola with Orange-Rosemary Vinaigrette in Country Woman October/November 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.