Here's a lovely salad to celebrate the changing seasons. The flavors of fresh roasted beets, sweet citrus, rich cheese and tangy vinaigrette were meant for each other. —Mary S. Moskovitz, Ventnor, New Jersey
Recommended: 33 Bright Winter Salads
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon chopped shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 fresh beets (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 bunch watercress
- 1/4 cup walnut halves, toasted
- 1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- For vinaigrette, combine the first eight ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid; shake well. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Place beets in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; add 1 in. of water. Cover and bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until tender. Cool; peel and cut into thin slices.
- Just before serving, arrange watercress on a platter or individual plates; top with beets. Sprinkle with walnuts and cheese; drizzle with vinaigrette. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Beet Salad with Orange Vinaigrette in Country Woman