- 1 can (16 ounces) diced or julienned beets
- 1 package (6 ounces) lemon gelatin
- 1-1/2 cups cold water
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 to 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 4 teaspoons vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1/4 cup sliced stuffed olives
- Lettuce leaves, mayonnaise and whole stuffed olives for garnish, optional
- Drain beets, reserving liquid; add water to reserved liquid to equal 2 cups. Place in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in gelatin until dissolved. Add cold water, onion, horseradish, vinegar and salt. Chill until partially set. Stir in beets, celery and olives. Pour into an 8-in. square dish. Chill until firm, about 3 hours. Cut salad into squares. If desired, serve on a lettuce-lined plate and top with a dollop of mayonnaise and an olive. Yield: 9-12 servings.
Reviews forBeet Salad
"Delicious! Refreshing! Beautiful! My family and friends all loved it. We have a new family favorite, and my next pot-luck contribution."