Beet, Grapefruit & Onion Salad
My husband loves pickled beets. I paired them with a little citrus for an Eastery salad. It has such a great color combination! —Michelle Clair, Seattle, Washington
- 6 medium fresh beets (about 2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large ruby red grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
- 2 small red onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. Scrub beets, trimming tops to 1 in. Wrap in foil; bake beets on a baking sheet until tender, 50-60 minutes. Remove foil; cool completely. Peel, halve and thinly slice beets. Place in a serving bowl.
- 2. Whisk together next six ingredients. Pour over beets; add grapefruit and onion. Toss gently to coat.
3/4 cup: 161 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 162mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Jun 4, 2019Love he earthy beets with the bitter grapefruit! The colors of this salad are show stopping!
Jul 10, 2018I thought it was very good, even though I am not a fan of cooked beets. I think I will try it with raw beets next time.
© 2019 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC